- This prestigious Institute of India where Gentleman Cadets (GC’s) are trained to become finest Officers of Indian Army was inaugurated on 10 December 1932, at the end of the first term by Field Marshal Chetwode.
- The Indian Military Academy (IMA)became functional from 1st October 1932 with a course strength of 40 Gentlemen Cadets. Brigadier L. P. Collins, DSO, OBE was the first Commandant.
- The first batch of IMA, Dehradun consist of 40 Gentleman Cadets (GC), as IMA trainees and they were known as ‘PIONEERS’.
- The first batch has its own level as Sam Manekshaw, Smith Dun and Mohd Musa was among the first 40 trainees of Indian Military Academy, Dehradun. All of which later became the Chiefs of the Armies of their respective countries namely India, Burma and Pakistan.
- This academy is located on the foothills of the Himalayas, about 8 km west of Dehradunin the northern Indian state of Uttarakhand. The campus is on National Highway 72, which separates the North and South Campus. The academy area is 1,400 acres (5.7 km2).
- The credo of Indian Military academy, Dehradun states
“The safety, honour and welfare of your country come first, always and every time.
The honour, welfare and comfort of the men you command come next.
Your own ease, comfort and safety come last, always and every time.”
excerpted from the speech of Field Marshal Chetwode at the inauguration of the academy in 1932.
- Motto of the academy is “Valor and Wisdom”.
- Gentleman Cadets (GC’s) undergo training at the IMA for one year who are graduted from NDA or any military college. Except the trainees who are graduated from a non-military college undergo training for one and a half years
- Academy is there with the purpose of grooming future military leaders of the Indian Army. The training regime at IMA moulds the physical and mental attributes and sharpen the leadership skills of cadets. Physical training, drills, weapons training, leadership development and practices form the focus of the training.
Here the ‘Boy’ turns into a ‘Man’.
This Article is Contributed by Sunil Joon. He Manages the Facebook Page – Indian Military Academy . To Contribute Articles to the Gomilitary Community. Please Visit this link. Don’t Forget to Mail a short-bio with a pic to info[at]gomilitary.in after submitting your content.